She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Monday, August 10, 2020

ELLIS PARK RESULTS 8/9/20

 A successful day in playing the late Pick 5 at Ellis Park yesterday! 


I outlined my selections for the sequence and hit it for a payout of $892 on the $1 version of it. 

The sequence cost me $240 to play, so a nice profit and it goes to prove what i've said here before...you have to spend a little money sometimes to make a little money.

In the final leg and feature at Ellis yesterday, Art Collector was much the best in the Kentucky Derby qualifier Ellis Park Derby and won wire-to-wire. Whether he's got what it takes to run with Tiz The Law or not remains to be seen, but, he definitely put his name out there as one to be considered. 

I started the sequence in Race Six with five horses. One could joke and say it was a "beautiful" day at Ellis...Crazy Beautiful...one of my picks won the Debutante Stakes and paid $7.00 to win.

The "beautiful" day continued in Race 7. I put four horses in this leg and one of my picks -- Big Beautiful Wall crossed the wire first -- returning $11.00 to win.

On to Race Eight. would the "beautiful" day continue? Hello Beautiful was one of my three picks for the Audubon Oaks, but another of my picks -- Mondaye Call -- ended up the winner at 2-1 odds, paying $6.40. 

In the ninth race -- the Groupie Doll Stakes -- there were no "beautiful" choices, but I included a couple of "ladies" in my picks and one of them -- Lady Kate -- got the win at 4-1 odds and paid $10.00 to win.  

I debated how to play the Ellis Park Derby. If I had gone with a .50 cent sequence, I probably could have gone deeper, but, I just didn't think any of the other contenders could beat Art Collector, so I "singled" the odds-on favorite -- something I rarely do in the final leg multi-race wagers. it turned out OK. Brian Hernandez, Jr. pretty much just turned the horse loose, kept him interested and took the lead shortly after the break. He drew away from Attachment Rate as they hit the stretch and Brian had him under wraps at the end. 

1:48 for the 1-1/8th mile race? How impressive is that! Consider the track record is 1:47:60...set back in 1988 by Lt. Lao. Brian never went to the whip in the stretch, just rode him out and he pulled away on his own. 

So...$240 got me $892. I'll take it. 

Does the winner of the Blue Grass and now the Ellis Park Derby have a shot at Belmont and Travers winner Tiz The Law in the Kentucky Derby? 

"Artie" is probably your second choice I guess, in the scheme of things -- but this handicapper will add Art Collector to his collection in any Derby Race wagers. 


paulie


No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.