She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Saturday, April 24, 2021

CHURCHILL DOWNS PICKS -- 4/24/21

 OPENING NIGHT AT CHURCHILL DOWNS


Yes, indeed, they've returned to the Twin Spires at Churchill Downs and the track kicks off Derby Week with Saturday Night racing tonight. A 6 p.m. post, definite chance of rain, and it's "Dress To Impress" night...so, if you go, you might want to consider wearing something else beside your Gonzaga sweat shirt and faded blue jeans. 

I've looked at the final four races (the Late Pick 4) and tried to do the best I can in sorting out the runners and guessing the conditions. If they pull races from the Turf, (Races 7 & 9) my picks might not do so well, keep that in mind and check the status of the final four races before you plunge. Also, a sloppy main track is entirely possible, so keep that in mind as well.  I handicapped for it. 

It's an interesting card, and a rarity in Race 8, where maiden fillies will go the Derby distance (1-1/4th miles) for the first time (and maybe only time) in their lives. This looks to be a total "close your eyes and pick a couple" kind of race, honestly.

Opening days/nights at tracks always have their share of intrigue, mystery and the occasional upset, so...don't go hog wild tonight. Better races are on the way next week! 


NOTE:  PICKS UPDATED 4:51 EDT DUE TO SCRATCHES 


CHURCHILL DOWNS


RACE 7 -- ALLOWANCE -- $118K -- ONE MILE (TURF) 


11  -- WARSAVVY

13 -- MORTAGALLY

8 -- HELLORHIGHWATER

4 -- FORTUITY



RACE 8 -- MAIDEN SPECIAL WEIGHT -- $115K -- 1-1/4TH MILE


5 -- QUEEN BOURBON

3 -- HONOR HOP

6 -- ZURI

8 -- D'ORO FOREVER 


RACE 9 -- WILLIAM WALKER STAKES -- $150K -- 5-1/2  FURLONGS (TURF) 


7 -- BODENHEIMER

4 -- KASIM 

6 -- ROCKSTAR RO

 3 -- FIELD DAY 


RACE 10 -- OPTIONAL CLAIMING -- $62K -- SIX FURLONGS


5 -- SHE CAN SING

7 -- AUNT NADINE

6 -- LADY ANNA

8 -- BAYERNESS

(IF SCRATCHES OCCUR /ALSO CONSIDER-- 3 -- TIPSY GAL ) 


The Play


It's opening night and it's a good chance to "get a read" on the track, as we get into better racing later next week.  I'm suggesting trying a Pick 4 with my top four picks in the first three races (7-9) and then "going deep" with my "if scratches occur" selection in Race 10.  Of course, be ready to substitute if track surfaces and conditions dictate it and I'll try to jump back in here with changes as I learn them....substituting as necessary if there are scratches and if Race 8 comes off the turf.

I'll try: 

.50 cent Pick 4:  

4,8, 11,13/ 3,5,6,8/ 3,4.6.7./3,5,6,7,8

COST:  $160


IMPORTANT PROGRAMMING NOTE !!!!


Since it is DERBY WEEK, I'll be extending my picks this week.  Be sure to check back on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday for my picks on those days. 


Good luck tonight! 


paulie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.