She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Sunday, May 9, 2021

CHURCHILL DOWNS RESULTS -- 5/8/21

 I chsed the late Pick 5 at Churchill yesterday and did fairly good overall but only hit four of the five races , so...I DID NOT WIN THE $2237 IT PAID ON THE .50 CENT WAGER.

On the day, I gave you 20 horses to consider over the final five races. Out of those, I had four winners, three places and three shows,  for a 50% "in the money" rate.  I filled 10 of the 15 possible "payable" slots for 66.6%. 

Here's how it went, race by race. 


RACE 7 -- I hit the win, place and show spots with HIMIKO (1-1), RISING SEAS and AVIE's SAMURI. It was a good way to start the sequence and the trifecta paid $18.40 on the $1 wager. That made a little profit on the $12 wager. 

RACE 8 -- Once again, I had the win, place and show with GAM'S MISSION (8-1), FLOWN, AND MUNNYFOR RO. That was a considerably better tri, paying $355.80 on the $1 box wager of four horses for $12 bucks

RACE 9 -- I gave out the first and seccond place finishers with CRYSTAL BALL (3/5) and MARKET RUNNER. I "singled" CRYSTAL BALL in the PICK 5 and got a run for my money, barely winning after a long stretch duel. That was more anxiety than I needed out of a 3/5 odds-on favorrite...

RACE 10 -- The bomb dropped herre, with 25-1 LADY EDITH getting to the wire first. I didn't have her. I did get NAVRATILOVA up for third, but, GOIN GOOD stumbling out of the gate and running dead last for most of the race didn't help me one bit. I wouldn't expect such out of Brad Cox and Florent Geroux usually. It crashed the Pick 5.

RACE 11 -- MUCHACHA (2-1) was the best out of these optional claimer in the finale, and I gave you that one. I couldn't get anything else home in the top three, though. 


So, I dropped $96 on the failed Pick 5, but put $60 total in trifecta boxes and that brought back a profit of $314.20 on those. I'll gladly accept a $218 profit on the day.  Sometimes, the trifecta box can be your best buddy at the track and it proved to be Saturday. 

I had mentioned watching Luis Saez yesterday in New York. He went 2-9 in his rides yesterday at Belmont, but did win the Peter Pan on (3/2) Promise Keeper -- this prep race for the Belmont Stakes gave Todd Pletcher a winner and definitely one to consider for the final leg of the Triple Crown .

 He was still full of run after winning the one turn, 1-1/8th mile race and ran away from Nova Rags in the stretch to win by two lengths. That means Saez may need to think a bit about whether he wants to remain on Essential Quality (who is skipping the Preakness) for Brad Cox or stay on Promise Keeper in the Belmont.  


We'll give it a go next Saturday. 


paulie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.