She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Saratoga and Haskell Results 7/18/20


An interesting day of racing on Saratoga's opening Saturday yesterday and success. We also saw a thrilling 2020 version of the Haskell that had Authentic barely hold on against a hard-charging NY Traffic to win as the odds-on favorite. 

I gave you five races that I handicapped. The Late Pick 4 at Saratoga and the Haskell. A total of 19 horses (there was one late scratch in the 11th race at Saratoga. Out of those, I had five winners, three seconds and two thirds. That's a 53% "in the money percentage. Out of the 15 possible "payout" slots, I had 10 of them, for a 67% success rate. 

I outlined a late Pick 4 strategy that cost $144 and hit for $346.75, so that went well at Saratoga. I also suggested a trifecta play at Monmouth for the Haskell and it hit for me but it paid less than I bet on it, so, I will go back to the old saying "We can pick winners but we can't pick what we'll get paid". A key scratch in the Haskell shortened the field, so that hurt our payout possibilities. 

So, at Saratoga: 

Race 8:  Shalako came flying down the middle of the stretch late to get the win and rewarded us handsomely with a $27.80 payout. He was my fourth pick in the race, and I'm glad I went four-deep there, none of my other three picks hit the board. 

Race 9:  Digital Age tracked the early pace, went four wide on the final turn and steadily progressed down the stretch to get a one-length win over a 25-1 shot. He was the 6-5 favorite in the race and the only one of my four picks that hit the board. 

Race 10:  Paris Lights got the perfect ride from Tyler Gafflione, He ran behind second place finisher Crystal Ball to the top of the stretch, pulled even and then engaged him in a long stretch duel to win by a head. That was one, exciting race. Paris Lights went off at 2-1 and I had the won, place and show finishers in the race. The favorite, Tonalist's Shape, appeared to have equipment problems during the running and finished out of the money. 

Race 11:  I went "deep" here, as I like to do in the final leg of Pick 4's, but there was no need to do so yesterday. My top pick Midnight Whiskey broke alertly, went to the rail and led every step of the way. Favorite Papa Luke engaged him on the turn, ran with him but never got his nose in front of him. Another exciting stretch duel. 

A good, profitable day. We'll "give it a go" next week and probably head back to Saratoga, but will check the card to see what offers the best racing. 


paulie
xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.