She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Sunday, June 13, 2021

CHURCHILL DOWNS RESULTS -- 6/12/21

 It was an interesting night of racing at Churchill Saturday Night. I played the final four races on the card and no favorites got the win in Races 8-11. My picks, though, didn't do too badly. I gave you 18 horses to consider and out of those, I had three winners, four places and four shows. That's a 61% "in the money" percentage. When you figure there were 12 "payable spots" available and I hit 11 of them, that's a not-too-shabby 92% success rate. 

Let's take a look: 

RACE 8 -- MALLOY surprised the field at 10-1 and got the win with Adam Beschizza on board. I gave you that one, as well as FABRICATE for show. This was a nice trifecta if you could come up with the place finisher (I couldn't) in Sianara. paying $1620.00 on the .50 cent attempt. I did lose ALTERED SHOT to a scratch as part of my original picks and CODE NAME KATE, who was my fill-in, never fired at all. 

RACE 9 -- The Mint Julep Stakes also went the way of a longshot with 12-1 MINTD surprising the rest in the turf stretch. My pick (and the huge favorite) JULIET FOXTROT faded to second and another  one I liked, in SHESONTHEWARPATH, gathered the show money. Another awesome trifecta payout in $77.65. It's interesting to note tht the two from overseas -- MINTD (Ireland) and JULIET FOXTROT (Great Britian) finished 1-2 on the Churchill grass. Seeing two of my picks scratch in CRYSTAL BALL and SISTER HANAN was disappointing. 

RACE 10 -- MR TIP (4-1) proved to be the best here, Tyler Gaffalione teaming up with trainer Michael Maker to get it done. I gave out that one, as well as place horse WINTER POLL and third place runner HANDY. Another big favorite, in SOTHERN PASSAGE, missed the board. The trifecta was $69.40 and the Pick 3 returned a very nice $504.25. 

RACE 11 -- A slight surprise in seeing my "also watch" pick SEMBLE JUSTE get the win at 9/2 for Brian Hernandez, Jr.. but I felt I had to include her. I also had second place (and favorite) with SMITH'S POINT and BOLD TACTICS in the show spot. A trifecta worth $31. a Pick 3 that returned $241.50 and a Pick 4 worth $2852.


I altered my original plans to chase the Pick 4 (I wouldn't have had it, unfortunately) and tried four "rolling" trifecta boxes. That $120 layout ($30 per race) returned me $100, so I ended up losing a "Jackson" on the sequence.

I did get lucky earlier in the card with a win/place bet in the first race on Brian Hernandez, Jr and CLIMB AND MAINTAIN at 6-1 odds, so I did end up slightly ahead on the evening.  A tip to remember -- trainer Kenny McPeek does pretty good with maiden sprinters and having BJ Jr in the saddle helps. 


We'll give it a "go" next week -- probably Churchill again, but you'll have to check back to see if I stay in Kentucky or go wandering with my handicapping. 


paulie

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.