She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Sunday, January 24, 2021

Pegasus World Cup Results -- 1/23/21

 An "OK" day for handicapping yesterday at Gulfstream in the Pegasus World Cup Day Late Pick 4 picks 

I gave you a total of 16 picks in the final four races, had three winners and three seconds. Although we did not take down the Pick 4 -- Race Nine ruined our chances there when the longest shot on the board took the Inside Info States -- I did have the Late Pick 3 and two exactas.  The overall "in the money numbers" were lower than I like -- 37.5%, but six "payables out of 12 possible spots gave me a 50% number. 

Race 9 was the spoiler...my top pick Thistimemytime couldn't hold off stretch runner and 16-1 longshot Pacific Gate in the final furlong and came in second. 

Race 10 was a winner, Tide Of The Sea got a great eide from Tyler Gaffalione to get the win and rewarded me with a $10 payout at 4-1 odds. 

Race 11 had my top two picks, Largent and Colonel Liam crossing the wire first and second in the Pegasus World Cup Turf event. The "Colonel" went off at 5-2, and paid $7 to win, the 5-6 exactas was good for $28.20.

Race 12 was a fun one to watch Knicks Go destroy the field in the stretch as the favorite. I gave you Jesus' Team as a pick also and this one ran second to give me a 4-5 exacta worth $43. The Pick3 also hit for me and returned $51,50. 

I did not show a profit for the four-race sequence, though.  The killer was the loss of the Pick 4, which put me $96 in the hole. I came came with a late Pick three which cost $32 and paid $51.50. I also played exactas in Races 11 and 12 won just $4.20 on the winner in Race 11 and won $27 on the exacta  in Race 12. 

I really liked Colonel Liam and Knicks Go in the final two races, along with Largent and Code Of Honor, so I invested $25 win wager on each. That $100 outlay brought back $145, so a profit there. 

A total wagering outlay of  $276 on the day, a return of $223. That's the way it goes some days. As I said so many times here, we can pick winners, but we can't pick what we get paid.  A $53 "bath" on the day -- dipping a bit into the profits I made in 2020. 

A follower did hit the Pick 4 for $613 on the .50 cent wager and did it by going "all" in Race 9 and then using three horses each in the final three races. That cost $108, so a nice profit return there. Sometimes, that's the key in races you can't come up with a clear two or three horses to use.

 Just hit the "all" button. 

It can be costly if you lose further in the sequence, but, at least you've guaranteed you'll still be alive, especially if it's in the first race of the sequence. 

I'll strive to do better next week. I'm not a huge fan of Gulfstream, but will give a shout out to jockey Tyler Gaffalione down there. He had four wins and two thirds on the card. Anytime you can go for a "four-bagger" against the cream of New York Racing jockeys and more...that's quite the feat. 


--paulie-- 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.