She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Monday, May 1, 2017

Churchill Downs and Kentucky Derby Memories from Paulie



Kentucky Derby. It conjures a million words and descriptions. Maybe just as many memories over the past 50 years. I've seen it snow on Derby Day, wilted through 90 degree temperatures and been in the clubhouse, grandstands, infield and even worked four of them. I've hit big and walked out of there without a dollar. 

1966 is my first memory of the Kentucky Derby. My father would go to the infield, take a folding chair and watch the races on the final turn. Kauai King won that year. I liked the name. My dad had a horse named Rehabilitate, that finished sixth. I still have his program from the day. Ron Turcotte rode the horse. We'll talk about him a little later. 

I first attended the Kentucky Derby in 1971. A bunch of us from high school went to cruise the infield. By then, my dad had six seats in the grandstands...near the starting gate. Fortunately, I didn't run into him. We found a "sympathetic" older guy who kept buying us beers if we would buy home one each time. Fortunately, we weren't driving. We took TARC to and fro. 
A little horse named Canonero II won. I had the second place finisher...a horse named Jim French. I thought it was prophetic...because I knew a guy named Jim French. 

1972 and 1973 were memorable years for me. I went with my girlfriend then and we sat in my dad's seats with my mom and her parents. I fancied myself somewhat of a handicapper even then and made nice money both years on Riva Ridge and Secretariat...both ridden by Ron Turcotte. My girlfriend loved a horse named Sham. Fortunately she bet him win place and show and made a little money. I still have those programs, too. 

I missed 1974. Was laid up with a ankle injury and could not walk. 

From 1975-1978 I worked for the Harry S. Stevens company in the infield cooking hot dogs on Derby and Oaks Days. They were hiring UofL students for $50 a day and that was nice money for a starving college kid back then. There were also "side deals" We knew guys in the beer booths. Exchanging trays of dogs for trays of "suds" did happen.

By 1977, I knew enough about the operation and mechanics of the hot dogs booth to be a booth supervisor. A college buddy helped me run it. More shenanigans ensued...including the infamous "missing" tray of mint juleps...and the two girls from Canada and the four of us "closed down" the booth for a brief while for a "inventory" count. Or, as "Boogie" and I later referred to it..."the viewing and screwing of the Vancouver vaginas." 

(Wonder whatever happened to them?) Good golly....

In 1982, I was in Indy. I decided to come down for Derby. I was meeting up with some frat alumni from college. I called my Mom to let her know I was in town. My Dad had business associates sitting with him, so I was infield bound that day. She told me a horse named Gato Del Sol was running. It's Spanish for Sun Cat. She had an old, fat and lazy Siamese cat that loved to lay on one of the indoor sills of a front window and soak up sun. It was her Sun Cat. She asked me to put $5 to win on it. I staggered around the infield all afternoon and nearly missed betting the race. I had two $50's left on me. I told the teller I wanted 20 $5 dollar win tickets on the Sun Cat. He asked for the number. I couldn't remember. He had a program back there with him. We figured out it was #11. He punched the tickets out, I left the window and the race started less than a minute later.

Gato Del Sol paid $44.40 to win. I walked out of there with $2200. I got my Mom her $110 around nine the next morning and she cooked me breakfast. I slept 10 hours and then drove back to Indy. 

I was hit or miss on the next couple of Derbies but always made the party on Central Avenue the night before. When I moved back to Louisville in 1985...that continued and I met a guy through a bowling league I was in who wanted to have a Derby Party and was inviting bowlers and others. I told him I was in. I've attended that same Derby Party for the last 32 years, at five different locations but the same cadre of people and I'll be there again this year. I love assisting in the various jackpots and "financial speculation" that may or may not occur at events like this and are, of course, for "entertainment purposes" only.

I do make Oaks every year live, though. I've sat everywhere for Oaks, it seems...but we finally settled on the Infield in the mid-nineties and been there all but one year since. 

My dad sold his Derby seats in 1999. He didn't get a request to renew them the next year. That's a shame. I would have kept them. 

This year, due to hip problems, I'll try to get a seat inside for Oaks. Got feelers out and looking, in case you have a lead. 

My four year in a row Derby winner streak was busted last year by Nyquist....who held off my pick Exaggerator. I currently have Always Dreaming as my top choice. I'll confirm that Thursday after we get post positions. 

From running around shirtless in the Infield and encouraging girls to do the same to "crashing" millionaires row and hob-nobbing with Denny Crum...from 
working in a tent...to gazing down at the tents below from the roof of Churchill...I've a wealth of Derby memories. 

paulie
xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.