She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Sunday, November 22, 2020

CHURCHILL RESULTS 11/21/20

A bit of a cloudy, drizzly day at the Twin Spires yesterday but some very good racing and I did pretty well. I gave you my picks for the final four races on the card (races 7-10) and ended up hitting the Pick 4 and both Pick 3's I tried. 

After scratches, I had 21 runners compete in the four races, out of those -- I had four winners, four places and two shows. That's a 48% "in the money percentage. I filled 10 of the 12 "payable" spots available -- for a  83% success rate there. 

The two Pic 3's I tried (Races 6-8 and 8-10) paid $235.60 and $20.55 on the .50 variety. That's $256.15 total and I invested $144.00 -- so I ended up with a $112 profit. On the Pick 4, .50 variety - the return was $311.95 and the investment was $144 -- so the profit was $167. 

The trifectas weren't quite as profitable. I did (4) tri boxes of five horses -- which cost $30 each on the .50 wager. I hit to of them -- paying $89.76 in Race 7 and $59 in Race 9....so a return of $148 on an investment of $120 and a $28 profit

It was my "if scratches occur -- others to consider" selections that bailed me out. In Race 7 RADIANTRHYTHM got the win at 10-1 odds and this one wasn't one of my top 4. Race 8 brought THREE TIPSY CHIX home first at 5/2 and this one was in my top four. FINITE was "all that" in Race 9 and was a popular pick (and my top pick) at 6/5 odds. In Race 10, the scratch of BLANKET OF ROSES made handicappers scramble and NEW EAGLE ended up a 2-1 price and won. I has this one on my "alternate" list. 

Sometimes you have to go deep. It may cost you a bit more, but, it'll usually provide a winning ticket. If it's maybe a "chalky" day -- like the final three races were -- with 5/2, 6/5 and 2-1 winners -- remember that a winning ticket is just that and that's why we play them.

It beats throwing a loser on the ground, tight? 

I hear horseplayers talk about not wanting to invest a bunch of money in a particular sequence or type of bet...but that is a "scared" philosophy and usually ends up in a losing ticket. Sometimes, you have to include the favorites with your long shot picks. 

Like anything else in financial realms, you have to spend a little money to make a little money. I wagered a total of $408 in my bets yesterday. I got back $717. I'll take a profit of $300+ any day at the track, and if I have to spend a little extra to get the reward, the ultimate success justifies the initial investment. If the profit exceeds the investment...guess what? YOU MADE MONEY!

As my late friend Gold Room Scotty used to say, "We can pick the winners, we just can't pick what we'll get paid." 

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, I'll have "day after Turkey Day" selections here Friday and then my usual Saturday selections. 

Since I won't see you until after Thanksgiving, I hope yours is a good one. I know the travelling aspects are risky now and your crowd may be smaller than most years in a lot of cases...but, remember, the sacrifices we make today will pay off down the road, so attribute it to planning for the future, watch a lot of sports over the Thursday-Sunday stretch and stay healthy.


paulie


No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.