She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Kentucky OAKS selections...FRIDAY



We had an OK day with Thurby in our selections after a rough start. Hitting the final Pk 4 made it a profitable one...and Silvertoni...a horse we recommended that needed watching came through in fine fashion to finish first in the 10th race. We had to go some scrambling after a few scratches...but ended the day ahead. 

Onto the OAKS! 

With six stakes races today...there's a great chance to make some nice money and we'll try to get you there. Sonja and I have put our heads together and (after recovering from the severe head bump) come up with some suggestions. 

ALL SELECTIONS AND COMMENTARY ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY AND WE MAKE NO CLAIMS OF FINANCIAL SUCCESS. 

RACE 6 -- The La Troienne Grade I

These fillies try a 1 1/16th and (2) Sheer Drama figures to beat the one to beat. She loves Churchill and Joe Bravo certainly knows how to ride her. (1) Curalina is a personal favorite of mine and this Todd Pletcher filly gets Johnny V. back on board. (4) Brooklynsway should be available at a nice price and if the rider change to Robby Albarado continues to be successful...she has a chance. She looked excellent at Keeneland in April. (5) Penwith has won two out of her last three and Kieran McLaughlin certainly knows how to get them ready.

Selections: 2-1-4-5

RACE 7 -- The Eight Belles Grade 2

(5) Carina Mia will get a lot of play and be a short price. She's won at Churchill and got nailed late at Keeneland by two horses that I Iike a lot in the Kentucky Oaks. I think the Asmussen runners (7) Stageplay and (8) Nickname have a great chance at upsetting her and (6) Blip n' Th Bye looks like she finally "gets" it and could surprise at a very nice price for Al Stall and Francis Geroux.

Selections: 8-5-7-6

RACE 8 -- The Twin Spires Turf Sprint. Grade 3

(12) Guns Loaded has won four out of her last five and Doug O'Neill goes with Mario Gutierrez today instead of Raphael Bejarano. I'm baffled but still like her to win.(7) Hootenanny won the Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies race back in October and hasn't done anything to make me think she can't win again today...tough to pick between the two. (1) Power Alert grabs the rail and likes to play "come catch me". With Julian Leparoux on board...they may have a hard time doing that. (4) Rocket Heat will contest that early pace and may be good enough to get a minor prize. If it falls apart in the stretch...none of these four winning would surprise me. 

Selections: 12-7-1-4

Race 9 -- Alysheba Grade 2

(4) Eagle and (5) Noble Bird will battle this one down to the wire and it's hard to choose which one to put on top. I'll go with Leparoux and Noble Bird. If it falls apart up top, (9) Majestic Bird gets the local connection of Corey Lanerie and Paul McGee. A horse worth considering. Another majestic sort...(6) Majestic Affair could make it interesting up front and will be hard to catch. 

Selections: 5-4-9-6

Race 10 -- The Edgewood Grade 3

They are all going to have to best (10) Catch a Glimpse who has won her last five. she's the pick here. (3) Nodiac, (9)Believe in Bertie and (11)Sky My Sky would be my choices to fill out the exotics....but there are probably three more in this race who could finish in the money...(7) Ava's Kitten is another I'll toss in as one that wouldn't surprise me if she gets her photo taken. Harmonize and Heavenly View will challenge. Your call after "the Catch".

Selections: 10-3-9-11-7

Race 11 - The Kentucky Oaks

I've looked at this race considerably since the post draw and I'm still staying with my original five to watch in (3) Lewis Bay (11) Rachel's Valentine (12) Cathryn Sophia (4) Go Maggie Go and (13) Land Over Sea. 

WHO WILL WIN? I'm going with my girl Go Maggie Go, who narrowly edges out Rachel's Valentine. Give me Cathryn Sophia in third...followed by Lewis Bay and Land Over Sea
I expect a nice price...and won't be surprised if any of the five prance into the winner's circle. 

Selections: 4-11-12-3-13

Have a great Oaks! 

paulie and sonja
xxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.