Wednesday, May 7, 2014
Preakness early look --- Who will challenge California Chrome?
It's been 5 days since the running of the 140th Kentucky Derby and the field for the next leg of the Triple Crown...the Preakness...is getting a few takers. The list is nowhere complete by any means yet...but here are some horses that are being mentioned as CC's challengers.
- Filly Ria Antonio,who ran in the Kentucky Oaks and finished 15 1/4 lengths behind Untapable is in Maryland and may try the boys. My question is...why? She's a miler, nothing more.
- Social Inclusion...who had his 3 yr. old campaign temporarily shelved with a bad hoof is announced as a probable. A good horse but not one that can beat CC.
- Ring Weekend. Another that was an early consideration for the Derby but didn't throw the name in the hat. A lot of question marks here...mostly negative.
- Pablo Del Monte. Drew into the Derby as an also-eligible but also scratched. I do like this one's running style and will study more closely as the race approaches.
- Ride On Curlin. Was 7th in the Derby and the change has been made to Joel Rosario on board instead of Calvin Borel. Wait and see theory on this one. Never seriously contended at Churchill on the first Saturday in May.
- Dynamic Impact. Winner of the Illinois Derby but money wasn't there to get a Derby slot. Fine horse but not in CC's class.
- Bayern. The winner of the Derby Trial on opening night at Churchill but was disqualified for bumping in the stretch. He'll probably be one of the ones I put in exotic wagers. I do like him.
- Kid Cruz. Won the Federico Tesio Stakes at Pimlico...so he had the home track angle working for him. The race wasn't that impressive. Will wait to see who is riding.
Bottom line for me is that I don't see anyone here that looks capable of beating CC. Eight nice horse, yes...but...as far as I can determine...they'll all be running for second place on May 17th...