She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Too Close For Comfort



Watching an auto accident is never an enjoyable or pretty thing. When your wife is involved in it and it happens right in front of your vision and your house...it's doubly scary.

First off, Sonja is OK. And that is the most important thing.

I was sitting in our den at my work desk, right in front of our front window facing the street while researching information on the internet for an article I'm contemplating doing for my main website CARDINAL COUPLE.

I hear a screech of tires, look up and see a truck plow into the passenger side of a silver car that looked strangely familiar.  Holy crap! That is my car and my wife driving! She had used my car to go to a routine medical appointment earlier in the morning and was getting ready to literally turn into our
driveway when the driver of the car behind her decides to pass ON THE LEFT (driver inattention) and thumped her. He hadn't realized she was slowing down, had her turn signal on and had to hit the brakes to avoid rear-ending her.

I put on my shoes and got out there immediately. Fortunately, she was out of the car, OK and looking at the damage to our car with the driver of the other vehicle.

He realized she was slowing down too late, didn't want to hit her and swerved to avoid her...not realizing her left turn signal was on and cross-jacked her. He wasn't paying attention while driving a moving motor vehicle.

She is OK. The driver door and side mirror on the left aren't though. Thankfully, a high rate of speed was present when he hit her. It was on her side of the car and could have really hurt her or given a whiplash or crushed her.

Here's the strange, eerie part of the story. The other driver works at the local high school. My wife works at the elementary next door. After they exchanged information and I went inside to call the police, he attempts to drive off. Fortunately, he had his cell phone number on the sheet he wrote his name, insurance info and policy number on. I quickly called him and informed him that leaving the scene of an accident was a criminal offense. He apologized, stated that he didn't realize and was back before the cops showed up.

She is OK and that is all that matters.

Now the insurance game begins. Claims, arranging for towing, repair, rental...all the fun stuff. A game I don't particularly like to play.

She is OK and that is all that matters.

And, if you read this...please ignore your cellphones, etc while driving. Driver inattention caused this.
It could have been a lot worse.

Be alert out there. The life that was saved was my wife's.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.