She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Sunday, November 3, 2019

SATURDAY BREEDERS CUP RECAP


It was a good day playing the Breeders Cup Saturday card for me yesterday at Santa Anita. Out of the nine races, I had seven winners, seven seconds and three thirds. That's a 47% "in the money" percentage and that's not bad. 

I went after the races two different ways. First off, the usual $2 across the board on four runners per pace. That turned out to be $216 spent and $211 collected, so that was a bit of just exchanging money. 

The real success was in the Pick 4's. I played three of of the 50 cent variety...each one costing $128.

 The first one, from races 4 through 7 was an "almost". I hit three out of the four races but race five was my downfall -- no winner there. That was a $128 loss.

Next, I went after races 6-9. That was the bonanza ! The $128 wagered turned into a $1156 payout, 

I spent that same $128 for a late Pick 4 covering races 9 through 12. Not so good there, with just three out of four races putting me in the winners circle. Another $128 loss. The total Pick 4 profit, however, was great, $772 to the good. 

********************************************************************************************************

I also got some great news Saturday morning. I had entered a "syndicate" late Pick 4 for Friday with five other people. We each tossed in $100. I gave some suggestions but didn't know the final horses that were bet. 

It was pretty much "drop off the money and make wise choices, fellas" kind of situation. Didn't even go into the track (because I've been "banned" by Churchill from going to "certain places"... long story there I'd prefer not to go into). Actually met a syndicate member in the lot and handed the $100 to him. We were both wearing grey raincoats and...just kidding !! 

(Note to Churchill -- I don't miss you. On-line works just fine for me.)  I know you're monitoring this website and my Facebook posts, also. Knock yourself out... 

That $600 turned into $18171 !!  After a tip to the teller, each syndicate member got back $3000 for their $100 invested !

I got the call Friday night about the win, but it went to voice mail and I didn't realize it or listen to the message until early Saturday. I figured we were beaten when a 45-1 shot won the final race in the sequence. Turns out, the group included the horse ! 

So, naturally...I stayed with the group for the late pick 4 on Saturday. Somehow, in Race 10, we failed to include 8-1 Blue Prize with Joe Bravo on board, so we got beaten there. I'm just as much to blame as anyone in the syndicate, I didn't suggest the runner. None of us did. We ran second, third, fourth, fifth and last in the tenth race. 

Toss in a 45-1 one day and leave out a 8-1 the next day. Yep, that's horse racing. . 


*********************************************************************************

We'll look at Churchill next Saturday. From afar, of course. 


paulie
xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.