She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

She's a Handicapper now..and I'm saying "Champagne, Anyone?"

Thursday, January 3, 2013


HOW SWEET IT IS

Louisville's stunning win over Florida in the Sugar Bowl. Epic. With that in mind, the top ten "Sugar" songs we can muster:

10. Sugar Magnolia - The Grateful Dead. Bob Weir's raspy vocals and Jerry Garcia's guitar make this one a fun one to listen to. Even if the lyrics are a bit dis-jointed. It is the Dead, after all.

9. Sugar In The Morning - Patty Page. A fun little 50's ditty. Good music for dancing after shots of Woodford. Or to liven up a boring funeral home visitation.

8. Lips Like Sugar - Echo and the Bunnymen. Alt-rockers deliver a great homage to kissing and sound strangely like U2 while doing it. Bono and the Bunnymen?

7. Sugar - Flo Rida. Rapper goes way too fast here for us to understand all that he's trying to say, but the You Tube is worth a look -- for the beautiful women, if nothing else.

6. Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch. - The Four Tops. Classic sing-along from one of my favorite Motown groups. " I can't help myself...I love you and nobody else" pretty much gets the message across.

5. Pour Some Sugar On Me - Def Leppard. The lyrics aren't much here but the guitar work is fantastic. As is true with most Def Leppard songs...

4. No Sugar Tonight - The Guess Who. Burton Cummings had one of those unmistakeable voices that ruled the late 60's and early 70's. "No sugar tonight in my coffee, no sugar tonight in my tea!"

3. Sugar, Sugar - The Archies - Yeah, I'll admit it. I did have a brief "bubble gum" listening phase in my youth. Then, I discovered Jimi Hendrix. Veronica over Betty. Every day of the week.

2. Sugar Mountain - Neil Young. The lyrics mystifying. About cocaine or just growing up? Only Neil knows. " Now you're underneath the stairs. Giving back some glares." (Been there, done that.)

1. Brown Sugar - The Rolling Stones. Mick and the boys mention New Orleans, cathouses and "having all your boyfriends at Sweet Sixteen". Love the saxophone solo and Keith Richards' guitar!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We recently opened up the site to comments. You know the rules...keep it clean, no bots or spam and don't trash anyone. It's provisional...if it gets stupid, I'll shut down the comments again.